Wednesday, July 30, 2008

BEIJING, LOST & FOUND

Beijing, Day 8

Beijing is wonderful, and almost every day the author of these lines stands, surprised and amazed, and wonders why at home things do not function the same, harmonious way as here. Lately I came across the brochure of the “Lost and Found Center of the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau”, which was established November 1956. I quote: “Since its foundation it has been following the principle of serving the people wholeheartedly and by receiving people to report losses warmly, safekeeping found property carefully, and saving no efforts to search for owners thoroughly…”. That’s what I call service! At home we don’t even know where to go, if we call that office we get probably an answering machine, and nobody would return something lost anyway. Therefore I decided to loose my backpack today, simply since I believe that we both deserve to experience these great services.

Are you sure about loosing your backpack on purpose?
Jonathan seems surprised about my intentions.

Too many cooks spoil the broth?
Not at the House of Switzerland!

Today the first team members started at 06h30! You can feel the excitement of the opening coming closer, and I guess everybody is looking forward to it after the days of preparation and planning. In the afternoon I left the House of Switzerland to meet Dominic Desouza who works as Assistant Director of Rooms at the Westin Financial Street. It was great to catch up after many years, and I must admit that I was a bit jealous to hear that Dominic had worked during the last years in a few of my favorite places on our planet, such as San Francisco and Bora Bora.


Break time!
The girls from Triumph get some fresh air, while the local boys admire the view.

Dominic and his hotel.
(I'll sell that photo to Michele for the next issue of "Connection".
After two weeks at the local markets I learned how to get a good price).

The “piazza”was very much in the focus of the male population of the HoS. Everybody was there except me, as I spent most of the day visiting our alumni, which I think was quite “heroic” considering the fact that the Triumph team was practicing for tomorrow’s fashion show (Trude, you can be proud of me!). So I even missed the “Finale Grandioso” of the show, as I went to visit Roger Leung in his newly opened property, the Comfort Suites in the Chao Yang District, which will host some of the VIP visitors of the Olympics during the next weeks. I had a very enjoyable and interesting evening, discussing all aspects of our industry with Roger who has many years of experience, and still remembers how to prepare “Crêpes Suzette" as if he would have left the "César Ritz" Dining Room yesterday. CK

Stop screaming, Matthew! Only 25 days left!
(The dumpling team, from the left: Ian, Cathy, Matthew)

Push and twist rapidly!
(Special effects with a cheap camera)...

So I even missed the “Finale Grandioso” of the Triumph show, as I went to visit Roger Leung in his newly opened property, the Comfort Suites in the Chao Yang District, which will host some of the VIP visitors of the Olympics during the next weeks. I had a very enjoyable and interesting evening, discussing all aspects of our industry with Roger who has many years of experience, and still remembers how to prepare “Crêpes Suzette" as if he would have left the "César Ritz" Dining Room yesterday. CK

Roger Leung, GM of Comfort Suites by Choice Hotels,
and the author of these lines.

No comments: