Sunday, August 3, 2008

THE MASSES ARRIVE...

Beijing, Day 11

The author of these lines’ last day in Beijing before taking a break (no worries, I’ll be back!!!). The “Beijing Belly” showed mercy, and I left at noon with a lightly rumbling belly in direction House of Switzerland to witness the first real general public opening. When I arrived, the Art Zone was already rather busy (it is Saturday…), and also in the HOS the visitors showed a lot of interest, especially in the work of our “Maître Chocolatier” and his colleagues with the “Mövenpick” ice cream samples. I suggested to the team of "Bucherer" watches to give away a few of those to enhance the public interest, but they did not think that it was that great of an idea (I am sure it would have worked!).

"La Suisse Miniature"
Now we understand why you funktion like clockworks...


Jonathan, Steffi and Cathy!
But who is the sreaming guy in the back?


"Whereever I lay my hat, that's my home..."
The gentleman in the center - background seems to feel rather comfortable at the HoS.


Most of the F&B team had worked until 3am to 5am to finish of with the aftermath of the Swiss National Day, and were back between 7am and 9am to continue. I must say that everybody looked quite fit, and now we see that the month-long training in Brig (at the Chaos Bar in the new dorms until 5am, and cleanly shaven and groomed at Mr. Cockers class at 8am) finally shows its fruits. Once I am back in Switzerland I will try and convince our school director, Mr. Gutzwiller, to open the bar even longer in order to get you guys even fitter!!!


You're sure that's Swiss chocolate, mom?
Our young guest seems not to trust the "Maîte Chocolatier.

Where are the masses?
Ian is checking the situation.

Here are the masses.
The VIP zone at lunch time.


The public restaurant was getting busy at around 13h00, while the VIP area hosted already quite a large number of guests. Everybody seemed very pleased with our international Swiss F&B ambassadors, and the comments very only positive.After packing my belongings I went back to do a “Good-Bye” tour through the HoS, raced to the airport, my flight in Frankfurt was cancelled, my luggage was lost once I got to Zurich, but…after 2 weeks in Beijing nothing could disturb me. As an old Beijinger I almost took a taxi to Brig, but in the last second I remembered that the tariffs here are a bit different. My thoughts are with you, the Beijing HoS 2008 team (it is already after midnight there, I hope you are in bed!!!). Have a good time, and I am sure you will have a great success and a lot of fun in the land of the rising sun (still not sure if that was Japan?). CK

All along the watchtower...
The author, just before he went back...

...to find that in Brig the electric wiring resembles
strangely the one in Beijing (see day 7).

No comments: