Saturday, August 2, 2008

SWISS NATIONAL DAY

Beijing, Day 10


Why don't you smile?

Midori Matsuo (right) and her "Triumph Inspiration Award" winning creation

(which doesn't smile either).


With yesterday’s Triumph event the security measures have also been put into full action, and quite a lot of people (including myself) who used to walk in and out freely are all in a sudden confronted with middle-sized army of SwissSecuritas co-workers. But on the way to the HoS I greeted already the guardian in front of my apartment block, the policeman in the lobby of my apartment block, the army guy at the entrance to the compound, the soldier at the access to the Art Zone 798, so a few more or less do not really matter. You really feel as if nothing could happen to you in Beijing these days.


High security level at the HoS. No badge, no access to the events.


The staff canteen.

Vitamins, minerals, carbs and proteins for high performances are served here.


Today the author of these lines assisted in the preparations of the second big event, the Swiss National Day party. It is also the official opening day of the House of Switzerland Beijing 2008, but as the evening was exclusively reserved for the Swiss Community of Beijing, the opening of the VIP lounge and public restaurant will only start tomorrow. The team is facing a long day, most started at 08h30 and the end will be ???. However, everybody is up and going, and with every day there is a bit more of a routine which will make things easier and faster and better...


The VIP restaurant.


The HoS bar.


The lounge.


Unfortunately, at the end of the afternoon, my symptoms of the famous “Beijing Belly” (I will give no details here…) became more and more heavy, and I left in the hope to return at least for the Swiss National Day party. However, the pure thought of raclette (or any other food) made my stomach twist and turn in anger, and I therefore stayed in the safety of my apartment (they came and fixed the air-con at 18h00, so at least the sauna effect was gone after a while).


Open the gates!

Swiss and Chinese officials wonder what's behind these doors...


The Swiss Machine!

One of the attractions at the HoS.


How sweet!

The Maître Chocolatier, probably THE attraction at the HoS.


Happy National Day!

Verena in full Swiss gear...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first read that you didn't want to eat raclette on SND I thought you needed a summer raclette recipe like prawns in mascarpone sauce, but then I read it again and discovered the overlooked part about the Beijing Belly...

I would have died missing out on raclette! Hope everything is fine now!